Subject: Re: Flex 8000: Locking down pins
From: Steve Holmes <sherlock@bnr.ca>
Date: 13 Jul 1995 13:29:17 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I needed to do the same thing recently, with the same
parts and about the same utilization 60-65% max.  I
didn't have any real problems with routing. Although I
made some educated guesses about where to lock pins at:

- I had some counter chains that needed pin access, and
  I assigned pins so that the counter chan could be
  kept in one row, and fast track connections cound be
  made to the counters.

Look at the Floorplanner in the MAXPLUS2 tools to get an
idea of how the Altera parts like to do their placement.

As my design got more dense, with functionality additions
I found that I could no longer keep carry chains together
on long counters, I had to disable the Altera built-in
carry logic on my slower counters.

Steve Holmes
sherlock@bnr.ca

Article: 1551