Subject: Re: Career value: VHDL or Verilog?
From: simond@vchips.com (Simon J Davidmann)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:30:14 +0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <CNUDDEP.96Jan2074140@btmq0f.sh.bel.alcatel.be>,
cnuddep@sh.bel.alcatel.be (peter cnudde sh146 8218) wrote:

> Sorry, in the US this might be the case, but in Europe nearly everybody is
> using VHDL. (Japan also has a preference towards VHDL)

I am afraid the facts don't agree with your statement - having spent the
past 7 years involved with the sales & support of Verilog & Vhdl
simulators within Gateway, Cadence, Chronologic, Viewlogic - in Europe - I
KNOW that there are significant numbers of designers using Verilog IN
EUROPE - on a daily basis - building leading-edge chips and systems. It is
an interesting illusion that Europe is all Vhdl - I agree it probably is
for FPGA - but no way for ICs. Yes we talk a lot about Vhdl - (there is a
lot to talk about how to get Vhdl design systems/flows to work :-)) but
reality is a lot of people in Europe use Verilog.

[Currently my company provides both Verilog & Vhdl products - so I have no
axe to grind.]

Simon Davidmann
Virtual Chips, Inc.

Article: 2601