Subject: Re: Gate Count - Notion of Gate
From: Richard_Vireday@ccm.jf.intel.com (Richard Vireday)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:56:31 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
*** Prefixed Primal Scream: AAAAAAAAggghhh!!
                            Not the GATE COUNT QUESTION!

Mr. Yadav,

Yes, Gate Count is pretty much vendor and technology specific.
Use it only as a #rough# measure of a devices' capacity.  It certainly
does not address I/O pin requirements or other needs.  It

Usable Gate Count is a better measure, but still not entirely accurate.
If you can, use this instead of the Gate Count figure.

The best measure is still post-facto:  will it fit MY design.
Once you have a little more experience in working with a technology, you
will get a better feel for predicting which device(s) you need for a new
design.

And design styles make a big difference in what you can stuff into
a device.  e.g. One-Hot is usually better for Fine-grained versus
Grey-coded for Coarse-grained.  Or correct use of Hard-macros versus
making your own unoptimized logic.  etc.

--Richard Vireday
(not speaking for Intel)

yadav@cse.iitb.ernet.in (Navneet S Yadav) wrote:

>hi,
>	sorry if this has been asked before.
>
>	most of the fpga databooks (xilinx, altera, actel etc)
>mention their chip densities in terms of gate count. exactly what is the
>definition of gate in this ? does it refer to a basic gate such as a nand
>or something more complicated ? i have heard somewhere that the basic
>notion of gate is vendor specific. in this case how do make a true
>comparision of chips from two different vendors ?
>
>	also some vendors mention usable gate count and some of them
>don't. how important is the usable gate count figure ?
>
>	email replies will be appreciated. i will post a followup
>containing summary of the replies.
>
>thanks,
>navneet yadav
>
>email:yadav@cse.iitb.ernet.in