Subject: Another XABEL bug.....
From: "Austin Franklin" <dark4room@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 25 Sep 1997 18:10:27 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I just found another bug with XABEL...which someone else may be
experiencing...

I have a state machine that has a RESET term in each one of its states
(first condition of if/elseif for each state...) that is supposed to put
the state machine back to its 'InitialState', which is S0.  This provides a
synchronous (or is supposed to) reset for the state machine.  The state
machine is implemented as one bit per state.

The symptom is, when the RESET input was set, the state machine would not
reset its outputs.  What caused this problem is.....the way XABEL did the
logic for state S0.

State S0 goes unconditionally to State S1.  It used a flop (reset, NOT
preset, as I believe it should have if it was thinking clearly) and
implement the S0 bit active low.  The input to the flop was inverted, and
all the destinations of S0 were inverted too.  The logic to the flop was a
big OR gate with one input inverted (the S0 input) and then NAND'd with the
RESET term.  The problem is, once the S0 state bit goes inactive (high) it
can never be brought back low, even by the RESET input term!

When I added the RESET term to the asynchronous reset of the S0 flop (via
XACT), it now works fine.  This was the easiest 'work around' to fix the
problem, but the logic it originally implemented is clearly incorrect.  It
should have just used the RESET input as the D input to the S0 flop...and
implemented S0 as a preset flop, instead of a reset flop (output logic
adjusted accordingly too).

Austin Franklin
darkroom@ix.netcom.com

Article: 7601