Subject: Re: What is the difference between CPLD and FPGA ?
From: Tim Warland <twarland@NOSPAMnortel.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:15:51 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jean-Paul Ricaud wrote:

> What is the difference between CPLD and FPGA

A CPLD is a complex programmable logic device of which
the FPGA - Field programmabel gate array is a subset.

the CPLD makes logic with huge sum of products _arrays_
which drive a few registers.

FPGAs generate logic functions through small clusters
of look-up tables each of which drives its own register.

CPLDs are typically built from ROM type processes which
means they retain their "program" when power is turned off.

FPGAs are typically built from SRAM processes which
means power maintains the program.

CPLDs are better for wide equations
FPGAs are better for pipelined processes

CPLDs are small and quick for wide equations
FPGAs are huge and quickish for sequential processes

etc.
Tim.
--
Strong words softly spoken.