Subject: Re: Xilinx Info.
From: "Umesh Gowda" <ugowda@cc.hut.fi>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:45:55 +0200

>We are currently doing  a project which requires implementation of
>around
>25K gate-logic and 2K-byte RAM.

There should be no problem fitting the design onto a FPGA ( Xilinx or
Altera ).

>We initially planned to use Xilinx FPGAs as we have XACT5.2.1 software.
>But, looks like the XACT5.2.1 has support only upto XC4025E with 25K
>gate capacity.. The 2K RAM itself is taking around 510 CLBs. Can
>somebody
>recommend how much would be fetch factor when we put the logic
>into the Xilinx CLBs?

To my knowledge a CLB can implement 16 bits of synchronous dual port RAM
and 32 bits of regular synchronous RAM. I would have to check the datasheets
to confirm this. My information is based on the M1.4 flow. One restriction
is that
the RAM cannot be deeper than 256 ( 8 x 256 =2K), larger RAMs can, however,
be easily made by smaller RAM blocks and some simple glue logic.

>So, we need to split the logic into two FPGAs which we don't want to do
>now.

There will be no problem finding a FPGA to fit this design if the design
environment
is 3.3 V or less.

>Also, one more disadv of XACT5.2.1 is no support for back-annotation if
>we use a Cadence Leapfrog VHDL simluator and Synopsys FPGA compiler.
>After synthesis, is there any way to do a pre-layout functional
>simualtion to make sure the design netlist is Ok?

My personal opinion is that in FPGA design backannotation is not vital in
the design
flow. My reasons are:
- Using synchronous design methodologies simulation and synthesized result
should match
   very well.
- Static timing analysis is a good way to ensure that the timing
requirements are met.
- Bugs in prototype designs aren't costly to fix. Finding bugs is, of coarse
, harder in protos
   than on a simulator. But probing internal signals via unused pins helps a
great deal.
- Backannotation is just an estimate and does not guarantee anything.
- Backannotation wastes precious time on a model when the same time can be
   spend in the lab with the actual product.
- Simulation is slow.
- The actual software can be tested on the hardware.

Note: Performing backannotation on a FPGA is not a bad thing. I am just
stating that it is
not absolutely necessary as in ASIC design.

>Also, can somebody recommend if there are any Altera devices which can
>do this efficiently
>than Xilinx FPGAs, like 25 K gate count + 2K-byte RAM...
>
>We can buy Xilinx new software M1.3 which has support for larger FPGAs
>and VITAL-support
>for backannotation, but is any Altera-approach going to be cheaper?

Selecting an FPGA is a complicated process. There are so many factors to
consider.
You might have to buy some new software but the cost can easily be covered
if the
FPGA used is cheaper. Other factors that must be taken into consideration, a
few follow.
What is the production volume?
Will future product updates demand spare FPGA capacity?
What type of support the FPGA manufacturer provide?

* Umesh Gowda                 +358 9 4131 2458 (Direct)  *
* ASIC Dvelopment             +358 40 503 7028 (Mobile)  *
* Tellabs Oy                  +358 9 4131 2200 (Fax)     *
* FIN-02630 Espoo             http://www.tellabs.fi      *
* Finland                     http://www.hut.fi/~ugowda  *
* Umesh.Gowda@replace_with_tellabs.fi OR                 *
* ugowda@cc.replace_with_hut.fi                          *