Subject: Re: Whats wrong with this method
From: Mike Treseler <tres@tc.fluke.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 10:46:49 -0800
--------------E355E48E9765868A8A5B2896

Allan Redenbaugh wrote:

> Given the following code for a control register where a single bit has to
> have
> a seperate async reset :
> (target device = Xilinx 4ke)
>
> process ( strobe, reset, clear_bit0)
>
> begin
> if reset = '0' then
>    cntl_reg <= DEFAULT_REG;
> elsif clear_bit0 = '1' then
>    cntl_reg(0) <= DEFAULT_REG(0);
> elsif strobe'event and strobe = '1' then
>    cntl_reg <= data;
> end if;
> end process;
>
> I assign reset to GSR so I expect clear_bit0 to drive the reset line of a
> dff
> on bit 0 and the reset of the register bit to only have the GSR reset.
>
> My synthesis tool (Leonardo) says that since I have nothing defined for the
> upper bits under the clear_bit0 condition it defaults to a preset which is
> not what I inteded.
>
> I have pulled out bit 0 into its own process and everythings happy, I just
> don't
> understand why this method doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Allan Redenbaugh
> Raytheon Systems

Try this:

process ( strobe, reset, clear_bit0)

begin
if reset = '0' then                  -- reset
    cntl_reg <= DEFAULT_REG;         -- default
    if (clear_bit0 = '1') then
       cntl_reg <= DEFAULT_REG_ALT;  -- alternate default
    end if;
elsif strobe'event and strobe = '1' then
    cntl_reg <= data;

-- overwriting should be ok since evaluation is at the end
of the process
--------------E355E48E9765868A8A5B2896

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mike Treseler
n:              Treseler;Mike
org:            Fluke Networks Division
adr;dom:        6920 Seaway Blvd;;;Everett WA;;98203;
email;internet: tres@tc.fluke.com
title:          Staff Engineer
tel;work:       425.356.5409
tel;fax:        425.356.5043