Subject: Floating point representation in FPGA
From: satish_me@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 06:16:59 -0600
 I am intersted in putting designing FFT and DCT on FPGA. The same I want to
implement just like Higher languages.Please help me how can I represent
Floating point on FPGA.
Thankyou for your valuable response

Subject: Re: XactStep6 - The cure for a dongle
From: z80@ds2.com (Peter)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:21:56 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

> Not to mention the growing tendency to incorporate a time-lock in the
>dongle (or its software). Many CAE packages are now sold for, say $9K,
>with a $1500 annual maintenance fee (real figures, from one major
>vendor). The dongle disables itself on a set date, & I have to
>purchase a new licence to re-activate it.

This *may* be illegal, in some countries at least. Here in the UK, a
long time ago, Xilinx used to have a "magic number" which one had to
enter into one's PC to make the software run. Every 12 months this
would expire, and one had to phone Xilinx for a new number. They had
to supply this free of charge, according to their then engineers.
Eventually, they got fed up with all the phone calls, and issued a
non-expiring number.

The simple way to defeat that expiring magic number was to set the PC
clock back, but then all one's project files ended up with the wrong
date stamps.

> Also the (all too common) license clause that prohibits transferring
>the license to any other person.

I am not a lawyer, but again here in the UK this sort of thing borders
on being unenforceable - it is against the principles of fair trading.
The fact that the software is licensed and not sold outright is hardly
relevant; you can sublet a lease on a property, etc.

> A further gripe is the replacement policy. The vendors blandly state
>they will replace a damaged (& returned) dongle, but not a lost or
>stolen one.

Good firms will replace a broken dongle, but with the best will in the
world they cannot do this if they no longer have them around. Which is
what happens if you are one of those people who like to stick with old
and trusted (=="obsolete") tools.

My general observation, and to be fair to Xilinx on this point, is
that for years they were stuck with expensive tools (like Viewlogic)
which they were powerless to give away even if they wanted to.
(Viewlogic had perfected the art of ripping off most people most of
the time).

What I could never understand is why a) a firm with such massive
revenues as Xilinx could not have written its own *decent* equivalents
(and I don't mean Foundation) and b) why they had to charge so much
for their P&R tools which - let's face it - were useless except for
Xilinx chips! Many, many small firm design-ins were lost to other FPGA
vendors as a result of this idiocy.

Peter.

E-mail replies to zX80@digiYserve.com but
remove the X and the Y.