Subject: Re: Cypress CPLDs
From: "Stephen Peddle" <smp@spam.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:35:39 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Dan Parent wrote in message <6ug9i8$h8v$1@news.itis.com>...
>I would like to here any comments/performance issues stemming from new
>designs using the Cypress CYC374i-66JC CPLD or related Cypress CPLD parts.
>
>We have just introduced a new product which utilizes the Cypress CPLD part
>and are looking at re-designing the pcb to add additional features.  One
>concern I had with the CPLD is the 5volt logic output only reaches
>aproximately 3.7 to 4volts due to a diode drop.  No negative side effects
>have been detected in the product's logic levels yet but we have only
>produced about 500 units.

Why do you want 5V?  Are you driving a CMOS input?  If the next stage is
TTL levels 3.7V should be plenty.  There are several standard logic families
out
there which intentionally restrict the output voltage swing in order to
reduce ground
bounce.  In fact, the original TTL logic never pulled all the way to 5Volts
either.

Steve

Article: 12051
>Why do you want 5V?  Are you driving a CMOS input?  If the next stage is
>TTL levels 3.7V should be plenty.  There are several standard logic
families
>out
>there which intentionally restrict the output voltage swing in order to
>reduce ground
>bounce.  In fact, the original TTL logic never pulled all the way to 5Volts
>either.
>

>Steve

You are correct - 5 volts is not absolutely necessary or possible.  But it
is nice to have a little noise margin above the 2.7v cmos threshold.

Dan

Article: 12052