Subject: Re: Xilinx FPGA configuration problems... Help!
From: peterc <peterc@hmgcc.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 14:39:32 +0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Olivier Hebert wrote:

> Hi! I'm currently developping a project with a Xilinx XC4010E FPGA. I'm
> having problems configuring the device. I'm using a master serial
> configuration (I'm trying to use the XChecker cable now, and a serial
> PROM later).
>
> When I first power up the board, if I probe the CCLK pin with a scope, I
> get a 900 kHz (approx) clean signal, but it's only 500 mV peak-to-peak.
> When I try to configure the device using an XChecker cable, the
> frequency of the CCLK signal goes up to something like 7 MHz, even
> though I'm using slow configuration. When I hit the PROG button on the
> board, the frequency goes back to it's normal rate (900 kHz). Of course,
> the hardware debugger says something is wrong when I try to program the
> device!
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong? Could the device be bad? I really
> need help on this one!

You need to use SLAVE serial when using the Xchecker and MASTER serial
when using a PROM. Then it should work.
--
Peter Crighton

Article: 13451
Subject: Re: Will XILINX survive?
From: Richard Schwarz <aps@associatedpro.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:23:08 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I totally disagree with anyone who thinks that denser is not better. It's
like
someone asking who needs a Cray on their desk. With the advent of cores, IO
and
HDL, the future of FPGAs and programming will be one of huge resources which
can
tolerate some level of efficiency loss for the trade off of quick
development. To
the point where FPGA programming becomes more of a Software Issue, and less
of a
hardware issue. You can see the evolution already taking place. Xilinx is one

leader in that market. So is Altera, and Lucent etc.. I am glad to see the
diversity in some of the approaches and think there will be alot of growth
potential in this market. Smaller, denser devices will continue to be sought
after. Xilinx's biggest mistake (IMO) was delaying any size migration at all.
It
seems that about a year ago they were hesitating in the move downward. I
would
also look into buying Triscend if I were Xilinx. I wouldn't make it the main
focus of their business, but I think it would be a good hedge against the
other
FPGA's doing embedded cores. I think they certainly have merrit for certain
apps.

--

    Richard Schwarz, President
    Associated Professional Systems Inc. (APS)
    email: richard@associatedpro.com
    web site: http://www.associatedpro.com
    Phone: 410-569-5897
    Fax:   410-661-2760