Subject: NOW IS: 20V01, A Logic Idiocy (IS: 2001, A Logic Odyssey (WAS: 22V10 Metastability - help please))
From: rk <stellare@NOSPAMerols.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 17:56:46 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Magnus Homann wrote:

> rk <stellare@NOSPAMerols.com> writes:
>
> > the logic in a gray coded state machine can glitch as much as it
> > wants, it's a don't care, as it only cares about what happens at the
> > clock edge.  if you choose to insert an asynchronous input into the
> > combinational logic of a state machine, any state machine, then you
> > can have problems, irregardless of what the coding is.
>
> Exactly. You seem to agree that gray coding a SM is not a cure-all for
> asynchronous inputs to SMs.

of course.  the state assignment of a sequencer doesn't excuse the designer
of following reliable design practices; as i stated before, a state machine
with a gray code state assignment is useful if another circuit will capture
the states, asynchronously, resulting in a small error.  if all the inputs
to the sequencer with a gray code state assignment glitch, yoiu have a POS.

happy new year,

rk

Article: 13926