Subject: Re: Hand soldering a PQ208 - It looks tough to do.
From: "Joel Kolstad" <Joel.Kolstad@USA.Net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:10:01 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"peter dudley" <padudle@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:8cD25.6132$C44.340857@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> 2. My eyes are too feeble to see if the there are bridges on the finest
> pitch parts like tq144's. I need a microscope to inspect the joints after
> soldering.

Hastings Triplett magnifiers are a good substitute if you don't have a
microscope around.  I normally use a 10x magnifier and occasionally 20x for
inspection.  I think something like 12x-15x would be best.  (You really
start to need a lot of light at 20x with the small lens involved, and of
course the working distance gets very small as well.)

Don't go for the really cheap plastic magnifiers.  You'll drive yourself
nuts.

---Joel Kolstad

Article: 23201