Subject: Re: Non-disclosures in job interviews
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:48:44 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jon Kirwan wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:11:51 -0400, "¸.·´¯`·.¸.·>Strings"
> <ggilbert@prsguitars.com> wrote:
>
> >What are ya gonna do?  Catch 22.  Sign it and see, or go elsewhere.
> >I personally haven't found it so difficult to sign the NDA.
> >It's dependent upon the level of employment, and the directness of
> >competition.
>
> I'd not sign and I haven't ever done so, for a job interview, in the
> nearly 30 years I've been in business.  There hasn't been a need yet.
>
> I suppose if the business was interested in sitting down with me to
> explain in great detail, on paper as an addendum, what exactly it was
> they intended and if it made sense when made concrete that way, I
> might.  But for a job interview, that sounds like a big burden to
> start on.  We'd probably both be better off saving the effort.
>
> No NDAs just for a job interview.  The fact that some people are in a
> bad enough situation, job wise, to need to sign such things doesn't
> make them sensible.  They aren't.

I feel the same way. I am finding that different companies handle this
issue differently.

> However, I'll have to defer on whether there is substance with which
> to enforce them on.  I don't really know.  But it doesn't seem that
> there is much worthy of enforcement, since there is no way the signer
> knows what they are expected to do under it.  They probably don't
> know, even after they leave.  There is no meeting of the minds and
> probably no value received.  But I'm not an attorney.
>
> It's still stupid to sign one for an interview, in my opinion.
>
> Jon

It certainly should not be necessary. When I post my experience from
this morning you will see that the company was being very anal and the
engineers were not planning on divulging any confidential info anyway.

--

Rick Collins

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design

Arius