Subject: Re: Software Pundits ASIC/FPGA
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@dark99room.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:13:52 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> Software Pundits Inc. is a leading
> provider of unique and innovative technology solutions for the top
software
> companies in the US. The likes of CISCO, Lucent, Alcatel, Bay Networks,
> 3Com, Ascend, Nortel and Seimens.

Hum.  I thought those were all top hardware companies...

Article: 30126
Subject: Re: Accumulator - Core in XC4K
From: Peter Alfke <palfke@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 04:57:03 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Christian,
give us numbers. How fast do you need to run? And what is the speed-grade of
your 40150?
Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

Christian Martin wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a timing problem with a 41-bit accumulator in a XC40150XV
> device. Due to the long carry path in the accu, I can not reach the desired
> frequency. Acually I use the accu from the Xilinx Core Generator V1.5

Article: 30127
Subject: Re: TOA measurement
From: Charles Lyttle <lyttlec@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:42:54 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
> =

> Hi Russ
> =

> thanks for interesting hint. Could you be so kind and suggest me some
> relevant keywords regarding the NASA "TSP" resources?
> =

> Regards, Michal
> =

> "Charles Lyttle" <lyttlec@earthlink.net> p=EDse v diskusn=EDm pr=EDspev=
ku
> Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
> >
> > Did you read my previous posts?
> >
> > +>Time sampling is realized by Rubidium normal (short term stability =
about
> > +>10^-12 ) connected with GPS time receiver for long term stability a=
bout
> > +>10^-13 - 10^-15.
> >
> > TOA is measured as absolute time distributed in the network of the
> receivers
> > with accuracy about 1ns. This time is not necessarily synchronized wi=
th
> UTC,
> > because I need only time difference (TDOA multilateration method for =
3-D
> > target location) TOA_1st station -TOA_2ns station =3D TDOA_1st2nd, et=
c.

> > What now? Any suggestion from your side?
> >
> > Regards, Michal
> >
> > "Jerry Avins" <jya@ieee.org> p=EDse v diskusn=EDm pr=EDspevku
> > > Please satisfy my curiosity about what goes on here. If you know no=
thing
> > > about the transmitter, what instant do you measure the delay from?
> > >
> > > Jerry
> > > --
> > > Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can =
get.
> > > -------------------------------------------------------------------=
----

> the
> > signal
> boundaries

> reference
> > TOA

> It looks like you will need to take a probabilistic approach. Try
> looking for literature on Kalman filters in a feedback configuration.
> You are trying to estimate the time at which the received true signal
> exceeds a specified level. Traditionally, the threshold is taken as the=

> 90% level. NASA has worked this problem many times, so there should be
> some technical literature available from them. Most university librarie=
> can get or have NASA "TSP"s
> =

> --
> Russ Lyttle
> "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>
I have one paper "Tests of a Differential Global Positioning System"
ARC-12313. It assumes the vehicle can see the sattelites that the radars
see. Check for a local NASA "Technology Utilization Center". I got good
results from the one in Albuquerque, NM. Gave them some requirements and
they found the documents. GTRI (Georgia Tech. Research Institute) also
archives many papers. Look under : radar passive positioning to start
and select subtopics from there. There are articles for the space
shuttle, international space station, fighters, AWACS, commercial
applications, and more. =

-- =

Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"
The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
<http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

Article: 30128
Subject: config FPGA OK but nothing running !?
From: iPierre <p_crahes@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:27:39 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I take the "easyproj" demo program (nothing more simple 3 inputs 2 gates 1 output) I download it into the FPGA (xc4005xl) using the XChecker cable. All is OK and the verification tells that the FPGA is well configured at anytime. Problem : All the pins of
the FPGA are pulled-up to vcc (whatever they are input or output) and the simple easyproj seams to do not even be in the FPGA ! (Note that the hardware configuration pins are set to MasterSerial and the fact that I put or not an external pull-up resistor on DONE change nothing ; the /INIT pin is not connected).
                                    Thanx

Article: 30129
Subject: Re: config FPGA OK but nothing running !?
From: Peter Alfke <palfke@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:03:14 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
You must use slave serial mode.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications
=======================================
iPierre wrote:

> I take the "easyproj" demo program (nothing more simple 3 inputs 2 gates 1 output) I download it into the FPGA (xc4005xl) using the XChecker cable. All is OK and the verification tells that the FPGA is well configured at anytime. Problem : All the pins of
> the FPGA are pulled-up to vcc (whatever they are input or output) and the simple easyproj seams to do not even be in the FPGA ! (Note that the hardware configuration pins are set to MasterSerial and the fact that I put or not an external pull-up resistor on DONE change nothing ; the /INIT pin is not connected).
>                                     Thanx

Article: 30130
Subject: How to find out where par placed things?
From: Mike Butts <mbutts@realizer.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:46:39 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I'm darned if I can figure out where Xilinx par tells you
the placement results.  I'm using Foundation 2.1i, otherwise
known as the Student Edition.

Specifically, I'd like to write a program which will write
hex INIT contents for a BlockRAM directly into the bitstream.
My xr16vx microcontroller uses BlockRAM for main memory, and
it's a pain to have to go through map/par/bitgen everytime I
change its C program.

The .ll file has a very nice mapping between bitstream bits
and BlockRAM bits.  But it's physical.  For example:
  Bit   627473   1585    210 Block=RAMB4_R2C1 Ram=B:BIT2106

I need to find out where my Verilog/EDIF bram/memb3 RAMB4_S2_S2
ended up, so I can look it up in the .ll file.

I've grepped all the files written by the normal flow, and
looked at all the tool invocation switches in the Ref Manual,
to no avail.  I don't want to do this manually, I want to
find it in some file that my program can read automatically.

Somebody must know how to do this.  Thanks!

  --Mike

Article: 30131
Subject: Re: How to find out where par placed things?
From: Kolja Sulimma <kolja@bnl.gov>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:21:28 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
The "official" way to do this, is to modify the bitstream with the JBits
Java Tools.
(JBits URL someone?)

The bitstream format is secret, so if you do not like Java you must do
some reverse engineering to find out, where your block ram bits go. But
that shouldn't be to hard: Generate a bitstream with all '0' in your
BlockRAM and another one with all '1'.
The XOR of the two bitstreams should be the BlockRAM position.

But JBits is nice, so forget about the reverse engineering.

Kolja Sulimma

Mike Butts wrote:

> I'm darned if I can figure out where Xilinx par tells you
> the placement results.  I'm using Foundation 2.1i, otherwise
> known as the Student Edition.
>
> Specifically, I'd like to write a program which will write
> hex INIT contents for a BlockRAM directly into the bitstream.
> My xr16vx microcontroller uses BlockRAM for main memory, and
> it's a pain to have to go through map/par/bitgen everytime I
> change its C program.
>
> The .ll file has a very nice mapping between bitstream bits
> and BlockRAM bits.  But it's physical.  For example:
>   Bit   627473   1585    210 Block=RAMB4_R2C1 Ram=B:BIT2106
>
> I need to find out where my Verilog/EDIF bram/memb3 RAMB4_S2_S2
> ended up, so I can look it up in the .ll file.
>
> I've grepped all the files written by the normal flow, and
> looked at all the tool invocation switches in the Ref Manual,
> to no avail.  I don't want to do this manually, I want to
> find it in some file that my program can read automatically.
>
> Somebody must know how to do this.  Thanks!
>
>   --Mike

Article: 30132
From: Eric Smith <eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2001 14:53:48 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Mike Butts <mbutts@realizer.com> writes:
> Specifically, I'd like to write a program which will write
> hex INIT contents for a BlockRAM directly into the bitstream.
> My xr16vx microcontroller uses BlockRAM for main memory, and
> it's a pain to have to go through map/par/bitgen everytime I
> change its C program.

Put dummy data (known contents) into the BlockRAM using the standard
tool flow.  This could simply be an old version of your microcontroller
code.  There aren't *that* many BlockRAMs in a part, so you can
simply write your own program to inspect the data stream and figure out
which BlockRAM contains the known contents, and replace it with the
up-to-date code.

I think all the info you need to do this for Virtex, Virtex-E, and
Spartan-II is in XAPP151.

Article: 30133
From: Mike Butts <mbutts@realizer.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 15:58:13 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

and Eric Smith wrote:
> I think all the info you need to do this for Virtex, Virtex-E, and
> Spartan-II is in XAPP151.

No, thanks, but that's not my problem.  The .ll file tells you exactly
which bit in the bitstream corresponds to which bit in your BlockRAMs,
and your CLB RAMs, for example:
   Bit   627107   1584    240 Block=RAMB4_R1C1 Ram=B:BIT6

They tell us this mainly so we can decode readback bitstreams, but it
works just as well on configurations.

My problem is I need to know where on in the array it placed each of
my BlockRAMs, since the .ll file is in row/column terms, like
"Block=RAMB4_R1C1".  For example my EDIF has a RAMB4 called bram/memb3.
I need to know is it RAMB4_R1C1, or RAMB4_R2C1, or what.  I expected
par would write its placement into a report file, but I can't find one.

Thanks!

  --Mike

Article: 30134
From: Peter Alfke <peter.alfke@xilinx.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:00:28 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Use slave-serial.
Peter Alfke
========================
iPierre wrote:

> I take the "easyproj" demo program (nothing more simple 3 inputs 2 gates 1 output) I download it into the FPGA (xc4005xl) using the XChecker cable. All is OK and the verification tells that the FPGA is well configured at anytime. Problem : All the pins of
> the FPGA are pulled-up to vcc (whatever they are input or output) and the simple easyproj seams to do not even be in the FPGA ! (Note that the hardware configuration pins are set to MasterSerial and the fact that I put or not an external pull-up resistor on DONE change nothing ; the /INIT pin is not connected).
>                                     Thanx

Article: 30135
From: Eric Smith <eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2001 16:34:39 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Mike Butts <mbutts@realizer.com> writes:
> My problem is I need to know where on in the array it placed each of
> my BlockRAMs, since the .ll file is in row/column terms, like
> "Block=RAMB4_R1C1".

Well, as I said, there aren't that many possibilities.  Just put known
data in, and use the .ll file to compare each BlockRAM with the known
data.  The one that matches is the one you want to insert your new
data into.

Article: 30136
From: "Hobson Frater" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:57:05 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Mike,

You can always open FPGA Editor on your placed and routed NCD
file and look at each BlockRAM to determine the name and location.
Alternatively, if you like text better, you can run the command:

ncdread <design_name>.ncd -o <output_file>

on your NCD.  I haven't done this specifically to find BlockRAM
locations, but it should tell you exactly how your design was
mapped and placed in the architecture.

Regards,
Hobson Frater
Xilinx Applications

Article: 30137
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:04:10 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
How fast do you need to clock it?  What is the path(s) that is/are failing
timing.

A look ahead carry can help on long adders like this, but it is cheaper and
easier to pipeline the accumulator if you can afford the latency from input to
output. To pipeline the accumulator, break it in half, register the carry out of
the low half and feed it into the high half.  The input value and controls for
the high half must be delayed by one clock with respect to the low half, and the
output of the low half requires a clock cycle delay to realign it with the top
half.

 Before you go through all that though, there is probably more you can do with
the straight ripple carry accumulator.  The worst case path in arithmetic
designs is usually the one from a register somewhere else leading to the adder's
msb through one of the lsbs and then up the carry chain.  If the register
driving the accumulator is not geographically close, then you are adding a
considerable routing delay to the mix.  Ideally, the driving function (the
registers which are producing the value you are accumulating), should be located
if possible in the same clb as the corresponding bit in the accumulator.  If not
there, then immediately adjacent horizontally.  If your accumulator has a clear,
then the high fanout of the clear signal may also be a problem, although
probably not in the 4K architecture (in virtex, these control signals also go to
the carry chain, where in 4K they only go through the LUT with the xception of
an add/subtract).  The register driving the control signals for the accumulator
should also be located immediately adjacent to the accumulator, and in some
cases may need to be duplicated to reduce the fanout.  The floorplanning to do
this placement shouldn't take too long.

From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:13:17 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Mike,

Why don't you put location constraints on the block ram and be done with it?
The PAR tools do a lousy job placing block ram anyway, and as someone mentioned
there aren't that many of them.  You can place them either in a UCF (label them
and the hierarchy leading to them to keep the name from changing), in the
floorplanner (again label it) or embed it right in the code (requires you to
instantiate the BRAMs).

From: Philip Freidin <philip@fliptronics.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:43:09 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
An alternative to JBITs may be the use of the XDL tools (dont know if
your student version has them). This will take the placed and routed
NCD file and dump it to an ascii file. With some significant effort, this
can be parsed, and you can find out almost anything about you resultant
design. The Fliptronics chip-viewer uses this path for its data extraction.

I believe that virtex/spartan-II devices allow partial reconfig, including
only loading/reloading the BRAM, so theoretically, you might even
be able to have a program running out of one BRAM, and the program
is talking to the reconfiguration logic, loading a new program into another
BRAM, (another part of the I address space), and then you could jump to it.

Have fun see you soon at FCCM2001,

Philip

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:46:39 -0800, Mike Butts <mbutts@realizer.com> wrote:
>I'm darned if I can figure out where Xilinx par tells you
>the placement results.  I'm using Foundation 2.1i, otherwise
>known as the Student Edition.
>
>Specifically, I'd like to write a program which will write
>hex INIT contents for a BlockRAM directly into the bitstream.
>My xr16vx microcontroller uses BlockRAM for main memory, and
>it's a pain to have to go through map/par/bitgen everytime I
>change its C program.
>
>The .ll file has a very nice mapping between bitstream bits
>and BlockRAM bits.  But it's physical.  For example:
>  Bit   627473   1585    210 Block=RAMB4_R2C1 Ram=B:BIT2106
>
>I need to find out where my Verilog/EDIF bram/memb3 RAMB4_S2_S2
>ended up, so I can look it up in the .ll file.
>
>I've grepped all the files written by the normal flow, and
>looked at all the tool invocation switches in the Ref Manual,
>to no avail.  I don't want to do this manually, I want to
>find it in some file that my program can read automatically.
>
>Somebody must know how to do this.  Thanks!
>
>  --Mike

Philip Freidin
Fliptronics

Article: 30140
Subject: Re: Timing analysis after implementation
From: Vikram Pasham <Vikram.Pasham@xilinx.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:59:19 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Xilinx's Timing Analyzer reports max. frequency between synchronous elements (FFs, RAMs etc)
within the device. For calculating max. frequency, trce (timing engine) does not take into
account "pads to synchronous elements" or "synchronous elements to pads" delays.

Use "OFFSET IN" and "OFFSET OUT" constraints to constraint these paths.

For details on timing constraints, refer "Timing Presentation for 3.1i" at
http://www.support.xilinx.com/support/techsup/journals/timing/index.htm

-Vikram
Xilinx Applications

Manjunathan wrote:

> Hello Everybody !!
>
>    after doing implementaion using XILINX tool,in post layout timing  report it showed us maximum frequeny is 191 MZ ,but in pad report it has given a net having delay of 8.711 ns. then how is possible to work under that much frequency.
>
>     and we checked the net delay with fpga editor it showed the same(8.711 ns). i would like to know where is the error?.
>
> thanks in advnce.
>
> regards,
> Manjunathan

Article: 30141
Subject: No inputs on XC9536XL
From: Kolja Sulimma <kolja@bnl.gov>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:47:11 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
What kind of an error message is this:

Fitting Status: Did NOT Fit
****************************  Errors and Warnings
*************************
ERROR:nd202 - Design 'confcpld' has no inputs.

A design with no inputs and three outputs does not fit into a XC9536XL
CPLD?
In the near future I want to configure an FPGA from a flash via CPLD.
But until then I need to disable the FLASH outputs to be able to connect
a download cable.

Her is the code :-)
  flash_oe <= '1';
  flash_we <= '1';
  flash_ce <= '1';

Does anyody know how to implement this?

(I do not believe that I am asking a question like this to real experts.
I hate these tools :-(

CU,

Subject: Re: No inputs on XC9536XL
From: Falk Brunner <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:59:56 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Kolja Sulimma schrieb:

> What kind of an error message is this:
>
> Fitting Status: Did NOT Fit
> ****************************  Errors and Warnings
> *************************
> ERROR:nd202 - Design 'confcpld' has no inputs.
>
> A design with no inputs and three outputs does not fit into a XC9536XL
> CPLD?
> In the near future I want to configure an FPGA from a flash via CPLD.
> But until then I need to disable the FLASH outputs to be able to connect
> a download cable.

When programming the CPLD via JTAG, all outputs are tristated.

--
MFG

From: Kolja Sulimma <kolja@bnl.gov>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:40:02 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Falk Brunner wrote:

> Kolja Sulimma schrieb:
> >
> > What kind of an error message is this:
> >
> > Fitting Status: Did NOT Fit
> > ****************************  Errors and Warnings
> > *************************
> > ERROR:nd202 - Design 'confcpld' has no inputs.
> >
> > A design with no inputs and three outputs does not fit into a XC9536XL
> > CPLD?
> > In the near future I want to configure an FPGA from a flash via CPLD.
> > But until then I need to disable the FLASH outputs to be able to connect
> > a download cable.
>
> When programming the CPLD via JTAG, all outputs are tristated.

Thats right. But I want to programm the CPLD to output a logic '1' to three of
its outputs like in the VHDL code that I posted:
  flash_oe <= '1';
  flash_we <= '1';
  flash_ce <= '1';
So that the FLASHROM connected to the CPLD will be tristated and I can
programm the FPGA that shares its DIN pin with
the FLASHs DQ0 pin..
But the tools fail to implement the code, because a circuit with no inputs
allegedly does not fit in the CPLD.

Kolja

Article: 30144
From: Falk Brunner <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:52:39 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Kolja Sulimma schrieb:

> > When programming the CPLD via JTAG, all outputs are tristated.
>
> Thats right. But I want to programm the CPLD to output a logic '1' to three of
> its outputs like in the VHDL code that I posted:
>   flash_oe <= '1';
>   flash_we <= '1';
>   flash_ce <= '1';
> So that the FLASHROM connected to the CPLD will be tristated and I can
> programm the FPGA that shares its DIN pin with
> the FLASHs DQ0 pin..
> But the tools fail to implement the code, because a circuit with no inputs
> allegedly does not fit in the CPLD.

Because it has a negative size. Just kidding. ;-)))
Maybe use pull ups on the pins.

--
MFG

Subject: Re: NIOS 16-Bit
From: "Compilit" <compilehr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:13:55 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Rune Baeverrud" <fpga@no.spam.iname.com> wrote in message
> > have you looked at the documents in
> > C:/cygwin/usr/altera/excalibur/nis-sdk/technotes/
>
> Could you tell us the IP address of your c-drive, please?
>
> Rune :)

https://www.safeweb.com/_s:indexpg2.php3

Article: 30146
From: Jim Granville <jim.granville@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:26:20 +1200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Kolja Sulimma wrote:

> Falk Brunner wrote:
>
> > Kolja Sulimma schrieb:
> > >
> > > What kind of an error message is this:
> > >
> > > Fitting Status: Did NOT Fit
> > > ****************************  Errors and Warnings
> > > *************************
> > > ERROR:nd202 - Design 'confcpld' has no inputs.
> > >
> > > A design with no inputs and three outputs does not fit into a XC9536XL
> > > CPLD?
> > > In the near future I want to configure an FPGA from a flash via CPLD.
> > > But until then I need to disable the FLASH outputs to be able to connect
> > > a download cable.
> >
> > When programming the CPLD via JTAG, all outputs are tristated.
>
> Thats right. But I want to programm the CPLD to output a logic '1' to three of
> its outputs like in the VHDL code that I posted:
>   flash_oe <= '1';
>   flash_we <= '1';
>   flash_ce <= '1';
> So that the FLASHROM connected to the CPLD will be tristated and I can
> programm the FPGA that shares its DIN pin with
> the FLASHs DQ0 pin..
> But the tools fail to implement the code, because a circuit with no inputs
> allegedly does not fit in the CPLD.

Some Sw does this, so you need to give the chip some LOGIC, even if it
is very simple
and ultimately redundant :-).
eg
   flash_oe = PinXX  OR '1';
   flash_we = PinXX  OR '1';
   flash_ce = PinXX  OR '1';

This using a CPLD+ROM as a Loader seems to be on the increase.

What size is your FLASHROM ( Content and package )?

From: Peter Alfke <palfke@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:24:29 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Falk Brunner wrote:

> Maybe use pull ups on the pins.

Yes, since the outputs are 3-stated ( with a week pull-up, I assume ), you can
generate a High by connecting 10 kilohm pull-ups on the pins in question. Once the
chip is active, the driver will easily override these external resistors.

From: Kent Orthner <korthner@hotmail.nospam.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2001 10:27:26 +0900
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Kolja Sulimma <kolja@bnl.gov> writes:
> But the tools fail to implement the code, because a circuit with no inputs
> allegedly does not fit in the CPLD.

I don't think that the error message means literally
that the design won't fit in the device, I think it
just means that the 'fit' stage didn't complete.

A place-and-route stage might fail with the message
"Did not route", and the reason could be one of
several.  In this case, I think that the Fitting
stage did not complete, so the error message is
"Did Not Fit", meaning "Fitting isn't finished".

Hopt this helps,
-Kent

Article: 30149
Subject: Re: cpul vs vhdl
From: edick@hotmail.com (Richard Erlacher)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:10:16 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
It's not quite appropriate to lump AHDL together with ABEL and CUPL.
AHDL isn't VHDL/VERILOG, but it is capable of quite a bit larger tasks
than ABEL/CUPL/PALASM unless you don't mind really large files.  They
do give you somewhat closer control of how resources in the target
device are utilized, however.

It might not be a bad thing to whip up a translator from a single SPLD
in CUPL to a package in VHDL, however, since that might serve some
use, some day in the future.

Dick