Subject: Re: SRAM fpga cell
From: Peter Alfke <peter.alfke@xilinx.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:12:57 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
PREP was an unmitigated disaster. It started with the naive idea that the
capacity and speed of any and all programmable devices, from simple CPLDs to big
XC3090s, could be measured by implementing a design consisting of concatenated
MSI blocks. Then we underestimated the power of marketing, and Altera's
"creativity" ( I have a long list of dirtier words for it), who claimed virtual
designs with more than 100% utilization of the existing circuitry. Made me lose
all respect for them.

Different from microprocessors, programmable logic comes in widely different
sizes and flavors, and is being used for widely differing purposes. I stick with
my original story that a single-number measurement for capacity ( or speed ) is
as meaningless as 38-24-36.
That's why the industry still needs smart engineers who can evaluate and select
the right device for the right job. And app notes and newsgroups to explain the
important subtleties.

Peter Alfke
======================================
Allan Herriman wrote:

> About a decade ago there was a benchmark called "Prep" but it isn't used
> anymore.  I'm not quite sure why, but I think it had something to do
> with Prep not being a realistic measure of the performance of a part.
> IIRC, one of the measures was the number of 16 bit counters that would
> fit.  Obviously, this mapped quite well to one particular vendor's part
> that has groupings of 16 flip flops.
>
> I propose a new benchmark: the number of traffic light or vending
> machine controllers that will fit in the FPGA.  :)
>
> Regards,
> Allan.

Article: 31251