Subject: Re: one state machine
From: James Horn <jimhorn@svn.net>
Date: 6 Jun 2001 15:45:40 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Peter Alfke <peter.alfke@xilinx.com> wrote:

> Except I got ambitious and want to modify the counter such that it can count
> low frequencies, say 1 kHz, with 6 digit accuracy (in one second, not 15
> minutes), by automatically switching to period measurement.

Well, Peter, HP (now Agilent Tech) has been counting to 7 or 8 digits of
accuracy and resolution per second for decades.  The trick is to have two
counters and a separate gate timer (digital or analog).

The technique is to count both the incoming signal and a reference
high-speed clock, each with their own counters.  You start both at the
first rising edge of the unknown signal after the start of the gate time.
You stop after the first rising edge of the unknown after the end of the
gate time.

The number of reference signal counts gives the actual measurement time.
So dividing the number of unknown signal counts by the reference count and
multiplying by the reference frequency gives you the unknown frequency.
With a resolution of the reference frequency divided by the gate time
(thus, for a 10MHz reference lab standard, 7 digits per second).  No
switching to period modes or whatever needed.

Reading a 1kHz frequency to the milliHertz with a 1 second gate time is
quite a trip.  A classic use for it was a simple circuit to catch the
32768 Hz acoustic tone coming from any digital watch to such precision
combined with tweaking to correct for known time drift leading to easy
setting of almost any digital watch to better than 1 second per month
accuracy (from RF Design, September 1979(?)).

Of course, since two counters are involved, some minor switching and
processing can give frequency ratio of two unknowns, etc.

With the ability to phase lock a higher clock to a really precise
reference signal, your Virtex should be able to blow away HP's 1970s
performance.  Aren't these chips fun?

Jim Horn, WB9SYN/6   Happy Altera & Xilinx (ab)user
PS: Thanks for your many terrific postings and ideas!!

Article: 31851