Subject: Re: Silo-3 Demo Program Crashes onDell 4100
From: "Srinivasan Venkataramanan" <svenka3@siliconsystems.co.in>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:30:50 +0530

"Tim" <tim@rockylogic.com.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:996070958.5973.0.nnrp-14.9e9832fa@news.demon.co.uk...
> "Srinivasan Venkataramanan" <svenka3@siliconsystems.co.in> wrote in
message

> > Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt. Ltd. (An Intel company)
>
> How long have you been an Intel company?

  I myself just moved in last week (from another startup Realchip, Chennai).
During initial "warm up" programs I got to know that it was acquired by
Intel during Feb 2000.

Srini

Article: 33426
Subject: Re: Application obstacle course
From: Rick Filipkiewicz <rick@algor.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:04:10 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Dave Feustel wrote:

> I have installed a licensed version of the 60 day eval version of Xilinx
> ISE Foundation  and the 30 day Modelsim package but I am plagued
> with license-related problems that prevent the software from working.
> I don't see this situation getting any better in the future.
> I am now seriously considering  uninstalling this software and going to Webpack
> (at least it's free with no time constraints).

I've not tried the ModelSim starter so I can't comment on that, although I've been using the PE edition for
a long time now with no problems. For the 3.3 eval I looked at the warning on the cover & took it seriously
by

o Copying my 2.1i & WebPACK installations somewhere else.

o Uninstalling them.

3.3i eval installed & worked fine BUT I don't use the GUI & run everything from the command line.
All the scripts start with a line like this [bash shell from Cygwin]

declare -x XILINX=D:/<WebPACK | Fndtn2.1iSP6 | Fndtn3.3iSP8>

depending on which toolset I'm using - WebPACK for CPLDs, 2.1i for mainline work, 3.3i for experimentation
with Virtex-2.

> If I had a way to generate Spartan 2 and Virtex 2 FPGA configuration
> bit files from the output of gEDA tools and then download the configuration
> files to the hardware, I would switch to them immediately
> on the grounds that, whatever shorterm problems I might have with them,
> the longterm lack of licensing problems would more than compensate.

A gEDA P&R tool would be a wonderful thing but I'm not sure there's enough info to write one. The route in -
for Xilinx FPGAs - would be to use the XDL text based circuit description language but its very poorly
documented. You might want to think about it in this way: How many GPL'ed PCB autorouters are there ?

Article: 33427