Subject: Re: Is there a full open-source synthesis path for any FPGA?
From: Kees van Reeuwijk <C.vanReeuwijk@twi.tudelft.nl>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:52:49 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 23:15:41 -0500, rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>That may all be true. But I still maintain that place and route software
>is inherently more complex than complilers. The tasks required to
>convert C language instructions to machine code for a given, well
>defined architecture is conceptually straight forward and well
>understood by nearly anyone graduating with a computer science degree.
>On the other hand, place and route algorithms are in a class of problems
>known as NP complete if my schooling has not failed me (or my memory).
>This means essentially that you can NEVER deterministically find the
>best solution to the problem for a realistic application given the state
>of technology in the foreseeable future. At least this is true until we
>are using Quantum computing which can explore all solution sets
>simultaneously.

Code generation for standard processors is not nearly as simple as you
suggest here. Even in the good old days of simple processors such as the
PDP 11, there was the fundamentally hard problem of register assignment
(which nowadays is only a solved problem in the sense that there are
pretty good heuristics, the processors try to help, and there are worse
problems). Modern processors have goodies like multiple levels of
caches, branch prediction, out-of-order execution, vector units, and
SMP. They all complicate code generation; sometimes a lot. It is far
from trivial to generate the instruction sequence that requires the
minimal number of processor cycles to execute, and that's even true for
sane architectures like the ARM and Sparc. The i386 something else
again.

IMHO it's more a matter of acceptance. A program that is twice as large
as is necessary or is half as fast as is possible is readily accepted
for most applications. On the other hand, an FPGA configuration that
uses twice the CLBs necessary or requires halving the clock frequency is
often not acceptable.

Article: 37226