Subject: Re: Quartus (finding node)
From: kayrock66@yahoo.com (Jay)
Date: 26 Feb 2002 10:24:36 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi Russel,

There are a couple ways that I can think of that might allow you do do
what you want.  The synthesizer is doing logic reduction and changing
the names and meanings of signals in this process.

1) Put your clock generator in its own module definition, then turn on
Leonardo's "preserve hierarchy" button, to maintain hopefully the port
names and meaning.

2) Generate a seperate EDIF for your clock generator, and wire it into
your design in Quartus using the name you like for the clock net.

3) Make the clock a primary I/O of your EDIF so Leonardo can't rename
it.

Having said that, in general, you don't generate clocks in FPGA's from
the output of counters.  You usually would use the outputs of your
counters as ENABLES for flops and clock everything directly from that
high frequency net.  Burns power, limits speed, but makes the tools
happy.

Regards

rjshaw@iprimus.com.au (russell) wrote in message news:<c3771dbf.0202260038.5876fcc3@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started using web Quartus-2 to compile
> an edif file from leonardo spectrum (acex 1k30).
>
> In the edif file (and in the vhdl code), i have a
> signal called clk1M25 (an internal node). I wanted
> to set a timing constraint on it in relation to the
> clock input it is derived from (thru a counter circuit).
>
> However, clk1M25 doesn't appear anywhere using
> the node-finder search box. How can i find it?

Article: 40076