Subject: Re: Difference between the Virtex and the Virtex II
From: jazimme2@yahoo.com (Jason Zimmernann)
Date: 12 Apr 2002 10:14:27 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> Well, everything is in the title, what are the main differences between the
> Virtex and Virtex II families of FPGA?
>
> regards, Cyrille

Cyrille, I think the best way for you to find this out is to visit
http://www.xilinx com and look around.  If you are just looking around
in general, you also might want to take a look at SpartanII devices,
and the VirtexII-Pro (which includes an embedded PowerPC!)  Here is an
excerpt from Xilinx's FAQ
(http://www.xilinx.com/products/virtex2/v2qa.pdf) to get you
started...

Q: What are the major innovations of Virtex-II family compared to
previous
Virtex families such as Virtex and Virtex-E?
A: The Virtex-II family builds upon the success of the Virtex and
Virtex-E families.  The Virtex-II family includes industry leading
features such as Digital Clock Managers (DCMs) and Select I/O-Ultra.
The Virtex-II family is the first programmable logic device to include
Xtreme Multipliers (18x18 hard multiplier blocks) and XCITE Technology
(digitally controlled impedance). The Virtex-II family features a
redesigned configurable logic block (CLB) that has twice the number of
slices as the Virtex and Virtex-E families. The Virtex-II family
offers increased system performance, a benefit of both the advanced
0.15-micron process and the Active Interconnect routing architecture.
The Virtex-II family offers twice the ratio of embedded
memory-to-logic as the Virtex and Virtex-E families. Virtex and
Virtex-E designs can be directly re-synthesized, compiled, and
targeted to the Virtex-II family.

j.

Article: 42001