Subject: Re: XCR3384XL availability
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 11:40:11 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I am not clear on what you are saying.  Based on the number of cells in
these chips, the area should be 50% larger.  So you will get about 1/3
less die and you will have 50% more area to see defects in.  The price
of the 384XL is 3:1 over the 256XL price.  Because of the lower number
of 384XL die on the wafer, multiply the price of the 256XL by 3/2, now
the ratio is 2:1.

I think if you do the math, you will see that a 50% increase in chip
area does not make a 50% reduction in yield unless your yield is already
pretty low.

Just how tiny are these two parts?