Subject: Re: Overheat with XCV-600E
From: Peter Alfke <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:16:24 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
For the chip to die of thermal damage, the die would have to be
significantly hotter than 150 degrees C.  We have shipped Xilinx FPGAs
into down-hole equipment where the chip is operating several kilometers
down, at the bottom of oil-drilling equipment. The FPGAs (and SRAMs and
A/Ds) worked for weeks at an ambient temperature of 175 degrees Celsius.
Silicon is much tougher than most people assume.  :-)

I have to believe you when you say you had a problem, but 65 degree chip
temperature was not the real cause.

Pierre Lafrance wrote:

> Hi all
> I respined a product, changing the old Xilinx XV-300 with a XCV-600E.
> Of course, I had to change voltage regulator from 2.5 to 1.8 volts,
> and few 5 volts CPLD to 3.3v.
>
> The problem is : the XCV-600E overheat, and 1 of the prototype just
> died.
> I tried to find any hardware signal that would exceed voltage but
> couldn't.  Hardware seems to be just fine.  I suspect the chips itself
> to overheat.  I just put a heatseak temporarly, but would like to
> solve the problem if I can.
>
> Simulation with XPower estimate the chips temperature to be 50C, but I
> measure up to 65C.
>
> The disign use 75% of BRAM, and 75% of FF of the XCV-600E.
> Clock is 82MHz.
>
> Anybody experienced overheat with 600E ?
>
> Cheers !
>
> Pierre

Article: 47176