Subject: Quartus II 2.2 doesn't run when installed to a newly transferred hard
From: Kevin Brace <kev0inbrac1eusen2et@ho3tmail.c4om>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:40:09 -0600

I recently replaced my 5.7GB hard drive with a 60GB hard drive because
the 5.7GB hard drive was getting full.
Rather than reinstalling the recovery CD that came with the computer to
the new 60GB hard drive, I used a disk copying utility (Western Digital
Data Lifeguard is an OEM product of Phoenix Technologies.) to transfer
files from the old hard drive to the new hard drive.
The new hard drive booted Windows 98SE correctly, and other software
(ISE WebPACK, ModelSim XE-Starter, and LeonardoSpectrum-Altera) I used
ran correctly.
However, when I install Quartus II 2.2 Web Edition to this hard drive,
the installer will install the software, but when I try to run Quartus
II 2.2, I will see the Quartus II 2.2 splash screen, but Quartus II
doesn't reach the GUI (Quartus II simply won't go beyond the splash
screen.).
No, this is not a FlexLM issue because even if I didn't have a correct
license for Quartus II 2.2 Web Edition, it will give me a warning after
I reach Quartus II's GUI.
The problem is, I don't even reach Quartus II's GUI . . .
Interestingly, when I install Quartus II 2.2 Web Edition to my older
5.7GB hard drive, the software starts normally (I can reach the GUI.).
        Just as an experiment, I installed Quartus II Web Edition Ver.
1.1 and 2.0 to the 60GB hard drive, and they worked perfectly fine (I
had to use an older license of Quartus II Web Edition, and I had to move
the clock back a few months.).
However, when Quartus II Web Edition 2.1SP1 was installed, I had the
exact same problem I had with 2.2.
Something must have changed something when Quartus II 2.1 was released.
        Trying to analyze what is going on, is Quartus II 2.1 and 2.2
doing something fishy like checking something specific to the hard
drive?
When going from a 5.7GB hard drive to a 60GB hard drive, FAT32 cluster
size did change from 4KB to 32KB if I am correct.
The copying utility I used seems to have copied all the files correctly,
including the dates (directory and file), file attributes, and DOS's 8.3
file names.

Kevin Brace (If someone wants to respond to what I wrote, I prefer if
you will do so within the newsgroup.)

Article: 52326