Subject: Is it possible to simulate Nios designs with Quartus?
From: Jesus Jimenez <jjimherr@eresmas.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 12:54:34 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I recently started using Nios 2.0 kit with Quartus II 2.1, and all seems
to work fine: I use SOPC Builder to build my own CPU core, generate it,
and place it in my Quartus II design.

The problem comes when I want to do some simulations, I can't make it
work with Quartus simulator. I tried a very simple core and placed it on
a Quartus II design, placed input/output pins for clk, reset, etc. and
programmed the core with a little program that writes values to a PIO
port. When I simulate it, nothing happens, it's like there was no
program, nothing happens at the PIO output.

Since all documentation seems to point me to use Modelsim, I wonder if
Quartus II simulator isn't capable of simulating Nios designs. The quick
solution would be using Modelsim, but I find it quite difficult to use
(at least much more than Quartus simulator) and I don't really need all
of its advanced features.

I haven't found any reference about using Quartus II simulator with Nios
designs, so my question is: is it possible?

Thanks in advance
--
Jesus Jimenez
jesjimenez@NOSPAMtelefonica.net