Subject: Re: Balls! (676 of them)
From: Jim Granville <jim.granville@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:01:42 +1200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
John Larkin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like I'm going to have to use an FPGA in a BGA package...
> this circuit idea needs about 320 I/O pins, and no other package can
> do that. 12 10-bit flash ADCs, VME32 interface, 68332 uP interface,
> and tons of fast static RAM. Vibration measurement in jet engine
> turbine blades. Ouch.
>
> We use PADS for PCB layout. So, does anybody know where we can get a
> PADS library part for Xilinx Xc2S400E-6FG676 or similar, or just the
> PCB decal for the FG676 package? This monster has 676 solder balls in
> a 26x26 array, on 1 mm centers. Should be fun to solder and
> troubleshoot!
>
> Respondants will get gratitude, beer, or money, ideally in that order
> of priority.

 PCB decal should be a snip - just use the PADS PowerPCB FPGA decal
Wizard,
and fill out 26:X 26:Y and 1mm pitch - faster than this email,
or about as long as it takes to fetch and open a can of cold beer :)

Schematic decal is not so fast, and a common approach is to split
into multiple symbols, in a design-specific manner. A bit more work,
but makes the schematics more readable.