Subject: Re: Spartan3 availability
From: Peter Alfke <Peter.Alfke@xilinx.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:31:40 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
This thread pretends that availability and yield are just a yes/no issue.
Let me assure you that it is not.
Our industry is very aggressive (and very successful) in pushing
barely-proven technology into volume production. Naturally, the yield at
first is not as good as it will be after a while. If it were, we would be
accused of not being aggressive enough.
I am not aware of any Spartan3-specific problems, but it does not surprise
me that availability is not perfect yet. The important thing is that the
design works, which it does! Yield has traditionally ALWAYS been improved
with a bit of hard work.
(I could cite hundreds of examples from my almost four decades in this
industry...)

Now you have my personal and honest opinion, don't read anything complicated
or devious into it.