Subject: Re: RFC: ARM+FPGA tiny board
From: "Pablo Bleyer" <pbleyerN@SPAMembedded.cl>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:45:46 -0300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

 Hello Brian.

"Brian Drummond" <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk> escribió en el mensaje
news:0o9s205ugmsf0k6efk6oianhcgvqq8m9bs@4ax.com...

> Another vote for headers.
>
> If one of them bears some relationship to a SODIMM socket, you could
> conceivably support SDRAM through a controller in the FPGA, for those
> who need it. Just a thought.

 All the available MCU and FPGA signals have been exported to the headers
(120 pins total). The idea of dual headers is to be able to stack modules up
or down and keep things compact. We have also a design for a backplane,
where the core module fits in dual headers and there are AGP132 connectors
for the add-on modules that also have an edge connector (these have a length
of ~2.7"that fits that format). So, yes, it's possible to have a module with
SDRAMs controlled by the FPGA, although this will take some pins of the
headers for the SDRAM control signals. If the module has an external
controller that would be better, but perhaps a cleaner choice would be to
use PSRAMs.

 The extra 12 signals of the AGP132 connectors are used for alternative
voltages (eg negative voltages for bipolar DACs), and 4 pins are used for
module auto-detection.

 Thanks for your comments. Regards.

Article: 66226