Subject: Re: EU patent debate, any effects on FPGA-design?
From: "Alex Gibson" <me@privacy.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:37:51 +1100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

"Kolja Sulimma" <news@sulimma.de> wrote in message
news:41daf793$0$29426$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
> Antti Karttunen (remove .fo from the address) wrote:
>
>> Kolja Sulimma wrote:
>>
>>> Xilinx also has an patent on implementing an 8-input AND in a single
>>> CLB. Hopefully your Microblaze clone does not use this feature, they
>>> could use that patent to come after you. (Peter Alfke stated in this
>>> newgroup that they wouldn't)
>>
>> I guess here you mixed me with Antti Lukats. However, I
>> come from the other side of the gulf, and I'm just beginning
>> to learn the secrets of EE.
>
> I did. My apologies.

>> Yes, of course. However, what I was striving after here
>> was that what happens if the public (and EPO) opinion
>> at some point comes to view the writing of Verilog/VHDL-modules
>> as a creation of SOFTWARE (for these "massively parallel
>> reconfigurable processing chips", i.e. FPGAs),
>> instead of viewing it as a description of HARDWARE?
>> This view might come more prevalent if the FPGA's
>> will be getting more and ASIC's less common,
>> and if the data processing/computing applications
>> will prevail over more traditional EE-fields.
>
> Actually that is the trick (the other way around) that is currently used
> in the EU to file software patents. You do not patent an algorithm, but
> the "idea" to run the algorithm on a processor, claiming that the
> combination of algorithm an CPU is a device, the algorithm beeing the
> configuration of the hardware.
>
> But that really is against the words and the meaning of the law.
> The idea to run Bresenhams algorithm on a CPU is not a technical
> invention. If it is, it is so similar to running Quicksort on a CPU that
> the level of innovation is not high enough for a patent.
>
> But of course you have a big grey area. Because it is hard to distinguish
> a new multiplier architecture from a new multiplication algorithm. And the
> barrier of where patents get absurd might indeed move more towards
> hardware.
>
> If you look at the discussion about software patents, the core argument
> is, that software is relative easy to develop, and as a result, software
> projects tend to get huge and incorporate thousands of patentable ideas
> (or combination of ideas). To check whether a software project violates
> any patents therefore becomes impossible and software development becomes
> a gamble.
>
> To check an RF receiver or a new chemical for patent violation on the
> other hand is relatively easy.
>
> With large FPGA projects with ever improving high level synthesis the
> situation begins to look very similar to the process of software
> development.
>
> I believe that the australien view that the patent system in general is
> not beneficial for society is right.
>
> Kolja Sulimma

Unfortunately as of the 1st of January 2005 we
have adopted the US system Lock, stock and barrel
as part of a trade deal with the US.

Including copyright and patent law.

Fun thing is that some patents that expired here
are now back in force
(Australian patent expired but the US patent hasn't)

A lot of lawyers here and in the US are rubbing their hands in glee.
Quite a lot of small businesses are sweating at the moment on
their company names.

Alex

Article: 77501