Subject: Re: need for a group FAQ?
From: Philip Freidin <philip@fliptronics.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 03:06:31 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Geeeeee, you go out for a 4 hour lunch, and suddenly there are 10
messages on a subject, and some emails telling me to go read the
news group.  :-)

On 20 Jan 2006 12:14:44 -0800, comp.arch.fpga.FAQ@gmail.com wrote:
>Hello everyone
>
>While I was browsing the newsgroup, I noticed a lot of junk messages
>all over the place. Maybe we could get rid of some of them by setting
>up a newsgroup FAQ. This will hopefully makes things (a little) easier
>for those of us who use this newsgroup on a daily basis.

The web site www.fpga-faq.org has been created for just this purpose.
I host this, and have paid for it out of my own back pocket, as my
gift to the FPGA community. I have been doing this since 1998.

I gladly accept and publish articles for inclusion in the FAQ from
anyone willing to write on any relevant subject. I retain editorial
control, which to date has been limited to for-mat-ting, punctuation;
and speellink.

>Yes, I KNOW about that one.
>
>Do you really think our first time visitors visit that site before
>doing their first post? Just cross-check the newsgroup and the FAQ and
>you will notice that people does not seem to care much about that
>site.

And another site would help this how???  :-)

>Besides, it's on Fliptronics site.

No it isn't. It is a completely separate site, hosted on a big expensive
server farm somewhere in Atlanta, by a company with its head office in
the UK, and the customer support all comes with a Bulgarian accent.

Fliptronics (and its vast engineering, management, and janitorial staff)
is located in California.

The FAQ web site is paid for by Fliptronics.

>They can take it down when ever they want.

But there has been no indication this is likely, right?
(By the way, I like the Royal "They" a lot)

>The topics I had in mind were things like
>
>  .... list of topics ....

If you are willing to write these, I would be glad to publish them
in the FAQ.

This wont change the fact that newbies may not read the FAQ first,
or even if they do, they wont figure out that it easier to ask the
question anyway, and often get a direct answer. Same goes for the
non-newbies.

>In any case,  you guys could come with comments and suggestions. We
>could even send them to http://www.fpga-faq.org, if you like that
>better.

This would certainly be my preference.

>your anonymous Dr FAQ

On the other hand, I prefer people posting to the news group to
not post anonymously. Casts a shadow over the rest of the posting.

>Symon Says:
>Good point. I wouldn't trust them either. Probably run by some dodgy
>fly-by-night bloke.
>Good luck, Syms.

Thanks Syms. You owe me another lunch next time you are in town.
(And I notice you again posted "Freidin's Clock Aligner" circuit
again, and failed to give attribution. If you do it again you will
owe me a desert of my choosing (triple chocolate decadence cake)).

>Peter Alfke
>Symon, maybe this was meant in jest, but that is hard to tell.

Good news Peter, Symon is jesting

>Fliptronics is owned and run by Philip Freidin, who definitely is not a
>"dodgy fly-by-night bloke".
>I have known Philip for over 25 years. We have worked together in two
>companies, and while we may have had our fights, I deeply repect him
>for his serious dedication and his competence and tenacity.
>So, please save those insulting remarks for more deserving "blokes".

And extra thanks for the above. I owe you a desert :-)

>- Brian
>I can hear Philip laughing from here.

That's damn good hearing, half way around the world  :-)
ROTFLMAO

>(in case it's not obvious: he's left it up for about a decade to my
>knowledge, maybe longer. I don't think he's in a hurry to take it down)

Up for 8 years, no intention to take it down ever.

>Tim Wescott
>This one is good.  It isn't really restricted to DSP, even though it's
>billed that way: http://users.erols.com/jyavins/procfaq.htm

Thanks for this Tim. I'll add a link to it.

For those of you who are curious, here are some stats from the
www.fpga-faq.org web site.

These are averages:

1200 visitors per day, 35000 per month
5000 pages fetched per day, 176000 per month

323 MBytes traffic per day, 11 GBytes traffic per month

16000 unique sites per month

73 email address trawling scumbags blocked per month
99.5% of all page requests are served correctly (others are for
      incorrectly formed URLs)
670  MBytes Site storage
4100 pages of content (most is the archive of the news group)

Operating systems (of the site visitors)
75%  of user systems are running Windows
5.4% of user systems are running Linux

Browsers (of the site visitors)
52.6 %   MS Internet Explorer
22.3 %   Firefox
16.1 %   Unknown
4%       Mozilla
1.8%     Opera
1.4%     Netscape

10.4% of visitors add the site to their favorites/bookmarks list.

>PS. we probably need one for the VHDL and Verilog groups too :(

These exist too:

   http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/FAQ1.html

   http://www.faqs.org/faqs/verilog-faq/

a Google search will find dozens of other VHDL and Verilog FAQs

All contributions to the FAQ are gladly accepted.

Philip Freidin

Philip Freidin
philip.freidin@fpga-faq.org
Host for WWW.FPGA-FAQ.ORG