Subject: Re: OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot
From: Joerg <notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:04:50 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hello Chris,

> The C.Eng requires a degree, More to the point a suitable degree from a
> recognised university.

That's just one of the problems. Here in the US they often require ABET
compliance of your course work. For many older engineers that is not
quite possible because even top notch universities didn't have some ABET
cert 20+ years ago. Also, you'd exclude pretty much all foreign
universities. That is hardcore discrimination and can (and would be)
litigated.

> You also need three supporters who are also C.Eng and are prepared to
> sign off on your work experience.

That's the 2nd problem: There is no critical mass here. The classical
chicken and egg situation. I know a whopping two licensed engineers but
both in the wrong field since they are civil engineers. I don't know any
licensed EE personally (ok, if I make it to one of Jim's parties some
day I would know at least one) and have never come across one in my
work. So, where would someone like me or all my colleagues obtain three
supporters?

>>and only some bureaucrats get to
>>decide who will have a job and who doesn't?
>
> All these "bureaucrats" will be at least degree qualified with a lot of
> relevant experience behind them.  No one on the panel is not a qualified
> Engineer.

But not qualified in my field. What do they know about medical
electronics? Sure, they could test me on how to design bridges and I
would still remember the basics of structural load and stress
calculations. Problem is, I do not design bridges.

>>IMHO, if someone has a
>>degree from a university that shall be enough of a qualification. What
>>difference would some license make?
>

> Well the C.Eng requires the relevant degree from a known university PLUS
> several relevant experience plus continued, structured, on the job
> training.  So if the C.Eng is used as a level for the license all the
> licensed Engineers will be degree qualified and at least 5 years
> relevant experience.

And how would the others get a job? How would you prove experience if
you never worked under, for or next to a licensed engineer because there
were none?

> IT is possible to get a C.Eng without a degree but the amount of
> relevant experience goes up a LOT (about a decade I think) and they do
> expect suitable training and pre-degree qualifications etc

That's scary. Passing those tests doesn't take much. But the thought of
someone designing medical equipment without truly understanding EMI
mechanisms, dielectric breakdown scenarios or regulations such as IEC601
would outright frighten me.

> In theory you should only have the Good People licensed but like doctors
> some Good People don't manage to pass the exams (brilliant but freak out
> at an exam)  and a few Bad People who get though but like doctors and
> architects it works 95% of the time.

That's the theory. In practice decades of licensing rules have IMHO
failed to prove that they improve anything in electrical engineering. I
have even read a statement of a licensing body admitting to that.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Article: 95251