Subject: Webpack 8.1i size
From: "Simon Peacock" <simon$actrix.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:16:00 +1300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I have been evaluating this lately... and I see from the install that Xilinx
still isn't acting very friendly on internet bandwidth.

Anybody notice that the single file is 800 M.... but the individually file
download is 1.8 G?

I think its time for Xilinx to have a good look at this.  How about looking
at the way cygwin does its updates? BZIP2 is used to reduce the file size to
manageable amounts and streaming keeps the bandwidth usage high.

May I make a suggestion to any Xilinx people out there that they look into
this.  It would be nice if a combination of TAR and BZIP2 were used to group
the small text (and other) files and compress them into approx 40k files (or
larger) and optionally send two at once (so the bandwidth is maximised).

My reasoning is there is a 1 GIG monthly limit in NZ... and then its 64k for
the rest of the month.

My two cents

Simon

Article: 95376