Subject: Re: ATA controller in fpga
From: "bjzhangwn" <bjzhangwn@126.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2006 22:54:06 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
thanks,can i have a look at your document or source files?

Article: 96501
Subject: Re: multi-processor linux on xilinx
From: Sylvain Munaut <com.246tNt@tnt>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:08:42 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Anonymous wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback recently on linux on Xilinx. I think I
> understand it now:
>
> PPC linux is faster and technically superior but monte vista has a strangle
> hold on the source and tools which discourages anybody from using it.
>
> uClinux/microblaze is slower but more open source and easier to get a system
> up and running with.

MontaVista offers commercial support and prebuilt toolchain/environment
which mean they will help you bring up _your_ custom platform.

But all the sources / toolchain are available for download. As a matter
of fact, I saw a patch to add the Virtex4-FX cpu IDs to the kernel.org's
kernel recently.

On the other hand, a _whole_ lot more people work on microblaze than on
Virtex4-FX and those who work on Virtex4-FX may prefer to pay for
commercial support to get their application up & running faster. Which
is probably why you find more on-line doc on uBlaze than Virtex 4 FX.
That said, for a experienced kernel developper, one is not harder than
the other ...

Sylvain

Article: 96502