Subject: Re: for all those who believe in ASICs....
From: Phil Hays <Spampostmaster@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:53:27 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
fpga_toys@yahoo.com wrote:

>IE for
>every dollar of revenue, testing costs are maybe a penny (or two).

I used to work for a semiconductor company.  Test costs were sometimes
very significant, as the test equipment was expensive.  Some complex
logic parts had long test times, and for one part I worked on the test
cost was roughly a quarter of the selling price, and roughly half of
the total cost.

Of course, this was an extreme example, and this was decades ago.  I'm
sure the business has changed.  Still, I'm not convinced that test
costs are quite as low as you assume.

--
Phil Hays

Article: 98776