Subject: Re: Xilinx and Altera -- maximum total bitrate for high-speed serial I/O
From: "John_H" <johnhandwork@mail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:22:18 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Zhi" <zhiman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ce9c6dd6.0411291340.7eae607e@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> Without undermining Xilinx's achievements in the 10Gb/s space, I would
> like to point out that using a 6.25Gb/s tranceiver is better than a
> 10Gb/s transceiver for a 6.25Gb/s application.
>
> There are several reasons:
>
> 1. A PLL designed for 622Mb/s to 10Gb/s has a wider tuning range than
> a PLL designed for up to 6.25Gb/s; hence, the performance (jitter) of
> a PLL designed up to 6.25Gb/s is better.

This *can* be true if the PLL is designed for ONLY a tight frequency range.
A 6.25 Gb transceiver will have no better PLL performance if it still
requires greater than 1 octave of tuning.  The generalization isn't valid.

> 2. Using a 10Gb/s transceiver to run at 6.25Gb/s wastes area, power,
> and the customer has to pay a premium for a turbo-charged transceiver
> that he/she will not use at full-speed.

Do you get the point about performance margin?  If I need to drive 70mph and
lower, I can get an economy car.  I own something with a bit more spunk
because it gives me headroom in performance.  If you can keep your eyes open
enough at 10 Gb, you can keep your eyes wide open at 6.25 Gb.  The inverse
is not true.

Is the area indeed greater?  Can't the same SerDes functionality occupy the
same space with good design?  A 10 Gb channel run at 6.25 Gb will consume
about 62.5% of the full speed power.

If the solution cost for 10 Gb transceivers is significantly greater than
the 6.25 Gb solutions, the overall development cost has to be considered for
board spins and time to market, design support and production quality.  The
6.25 Gb solution may be the best choice for many designs.

> 3. Moreover, your choice should not only be based on the transceiver.
> It is just part of the whole solution. FPGA core fabric should also be
> taken into account. Does the core fabric have enough LEs to process
> all the data coming in at 6.25Gb/s? A 10Gb/s transceiver may require
> more LEs, and if not used, will be wasted.

Again, running a 10 Gb transceiver at 6.25 Gb will use the same number of
LEs as a 6.25 Gb transceiver running at 6.25 Gb.

> These are just a few reasons to choose a 6.25Gb/s transceiver.
>
> BTW, there are 15+ FPGA/ASIC/IP/ASSP vendors who have 6.25Gb/s
> transceivers. This enables industry interoperability at 6.25Gb/s. It
> will be the sweet spot in the coming years.
>
> Aside from these comments, the RocketIO group at Xilinx did an
> outstanding job on the 10Gb/s transceiver. However, the market crash
> in 2001 has pushed the standarization of 10Gb/s for many many years.
> Therefore, it is not unreasonable to say that it was over-engineered
> and customers will have to pay for this innovation even though they
> may not need it.
>
> Zhi

Article: 76276