Subject: Re: Exportability of EDA industry from North America?
From: Chuck Harris <cf-NO-SPAM-harris@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:55:47 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rick Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:46:53 -0500, Chuck Harris
> <cf-NO-SPAM-harris@erols.com> wrote:
>

>>I want to go to Debian, but I am finding it hard to get excited about
>>ripping my system apart and starting over...If only there was a safe
>>and easy way to move from RedHat to Debian...
>

> The EDA vendors only support RedHat, so I'm sticking with it, whatever
> its faults. And, finally, after all these years, we now actually have
> a professional Linux distribution, that's not just put together by
> hackers. But I'll tell you what really pi**es me off about it - they
> now charge an *annual* subscription for it. I've been buying Windoze
> distributions for 20-odd years, and I've never once had to pay an
> annual subscription. I bought my current Win2K 4 years ago, and I can
> still download updates and security fixes for free. What exactly makes
> RedHat think that they can charge year-on-year for that? If they'd
> just asked me for a one-off $200 then I'd have paid it. I'm running
> FC2 now, despite having to download the whole thing.
>
> Rick

There is no reason that you have to pay RedHat.  The amount you pay is
purely for their support.  You can get the entire distribution from a
number of places.  One is www.tux.com

-Chuck

Article: 77851
Subject: Re: How to change temperature in Xilnx Webpack with free starter Modelsim
From: "gja" <geeja@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:15:19 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Looks like this is a known problem and will be fixed in a later version.
Here's a workaround I received from Xilinx support:
 For now if you want to do this you will need to run netgen in
command line and delete the "-s-4" option.

To do this:

   1. In Project Navigator click on your top level
   2. Run Generate Post-Place & Route Simulation Model ( you will still
      get the same warning)
   3. Under Design Entry Utilities click on View Command Line Log File
   4. The last command line should read something like
         1. netgen -intstyle ise -s 4   -pcf top.pcf -ngm top.ngm -w
            -ofmt verilog -sim top.ncd top_timesim.v
   5. Now open a command line
   6. Change to your project directory
   7. Paste the netgen command in the command line minus the -s 4
      option.  Something similar to this.
         1. netgen -intstyle ise  -pcf top.pcf -ngm top.ngm -w -ofmt
            verilog -sim top.ncd top_timesim.v
   8. You can now run Model Sim with this file

"Gabor" <gabor@alacron.com> wrote in message
> gja wrote:
> > Tried that, but i get this warning message:
> >
> > Started process "Generate Post-Place & Route Simulation Model".
> >
> > WARNING:Anno:255 - command line '-s -4' overrides .pcf TEMPERATURE =
> 70.000
> >
> This message is when you build the model?  It looks like NGDanno is
> being invoked with -s -4 (change speed to 4) in the command line.  If
> you run NGDanno from the process window in the ISE navigator I don't
> think you can turn this off.  Maybe someone knows how to run this
> from a command line.  Check out the Development System Reference Guide
> chapter 24 "NGDanno" in the online documentation.
> >

> > "Falk Brunner" <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "gja" <geeja@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> part
> > > using