Subject: Re: RTL for Z8000 series CPU?
From: Bernard <bernard@earth.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:06:54 +0100
> Let me clarify:
> Intel developed and designed the 4004, then 8008, which evolved into
> the 8080. Then there ws the race to 16 bits: Intel 8086, Motorola
> 68000, and Zilog Z8000.
> Intel also made an economy-version of the 8086, called 8088 (8-bit bus
> insted of 16-bit), and IBM picked this intel 8088 for their PC. IBM was
> not in the commodity microprocessor business in those days, and IBM
> never manufactured 8086-like chips.

They did!

There were several 386 and 486 level chips designed and manufactured by
IBM based on the agreement with Intel. IBM 386SLC, 486SLC and 486BL
series are the examples. The chips carried Intel's and IBM's copyrights
and incorporated a reasonable amount of cache. I still have some PS/2
computers with IBM 486SLC2 and SLC3 CPUs inside.

Then IBM served several x86 companies as chip foundry. They did it at
least for NexGen, Cyrix and  AMD.

Article: 93551